Twista leaves daughter waiting, wanting
Pooky
2004-08-31 13:52:23 UTC
Before Twista became the latest rap sensation and a platinum artist, he was
Carl Terrell Mitchell, a young rap wannabe from the West Side who, in 1991,
married Rashida Mitchell.

About three years later, the couple brought Aaliyah Mitchell into the world.
They separated in 1996, and in 1999, Rashida filed for divorce. She now
alleges that Twista, who is not related to me, has been so clever at hiding
his assets that the case has languished ever since.

"He would come in court with phony check stubs showing that he made about
$2,000 a month. The court ordered Twista to pay me $100 a week in 1999," his
wife said.

About a year ago, the court increased Twista's child support payment to $460
a month.

"Right now he is two months behind," Rashida Mitchell said.

According to Jeffery Leving, Twista's lawyer, "the check is in the mail."

"This man is a loving father," Leving told me. ''He is not a malfeasance or
deadbeat parent. He told me that his daughter means the world to him."

Meanwhile, when Aaliyah started school last week, Rashida didn't have the
money to buy the girl new clothes.

Janice Boback, Rashida's lawyer, says her firm, Anderson & Boback, came into
the divorce case a year ago.

"The case has stalled because we've been unable to get the information about
his income and business affairs," Boback said. "Obviously he has been living
high on the hog, and we are trying to find his resources. Rashida is having
a hard time because she is living on her own and is a single parent.
Actually, $460 doesn't even pay the rent. She just wants what is best for
her daughter."

Leving, who spoke to me while Twista was on another line, claims the rap
star has regular visitation with his daughter at his mother's house. But I
spoke to the 10-year-old girl, and she says she hasn't seen her father since
her ninth birthday last year when he took her to the zoo.

Scrapes up ticket money

And although Twista said he visited with his daughter at the WGCI Big Jam IV
a few months ago, the event actually took place in December 2003. Aaliyah's
mother showed me her receipt for $144 for two tickets.

"She begged him to go to the concert because she wanted to meet Beyonce and
Lil' Bow Wow, and she had never seen her father on stage," Mitchell said. "I
scraped up the money to buy the tickets because I didn't want her to be
disappointed, and I got one of my friends to take her backstage. Twista
wouldn't even take her to the dressing room."

Right now, Aaliyah is a little girl any father would be proud to call his
daughter. Last year, she earned straight A's in fourth grade at a school in
the Valley View School District, where she is a member of the school's
soccer team.

"Twista doesn't participate in her life at all," his wife said. "She goes to
school and tells her friends that Twista is her dad, and they don't believe
her. All of her friends see him in videos, and they think she is lying. Kids
can be cruel."

'Entitled to share in lifestyle'

"As the daughter of Twista, this girl is certainly entitled to share in the
lifestyle that her dad has, and that is what we are trying to do now,"
Boback said. "She is being cut off from what she is entitled to. She wants
very desperately to have a relationship with her father, and unfortunately
that just hasn't happened."

Twista has children outside of his marriage, and these mothers have not
called me to complain. Rashida said she decided to air this matter because
her daughter is so unhappy.

"Basically, I want people to know that my daughter does exist," she said.
"Her father is Twista although he has not given her the life that she
deserves. His daughter is a beautiful little girl and well-mannered. I don't
think she deserves to be disrespected and abandoned by him."

On Aug. 18, Aaliyah turned 10. She got a phone call from her father, but no
gifts -- not even a birthday card.

Leving, a father's rights pioneer, argues that he presented Twista for his
deposition and it is up to Rashida's lawyers to figure out where his money
is.

"Right now there are issues, and Twista is out of town a lot. He didn't show
up for his daughter's skating party because these parents have a bad
relationship," Leving said.

But is this right? Should Twista's daughter be forced to produce a newspaper
article to prove to her friends that her father is a successful rap star?

Sooner or later, Rashida and Twista will settle their differences and move
on.

But no daughter should be made to look like a liar when she brags about her
father.
A to the L
2004-08-31 14:25:40 UTC
Post by Pooky
Before Twista became the latest rap sensation and a platinum artist, he was
Carl Terrell Mitchell, a young rap wannabe from the West Side who, in 1991,
married Rashida Mitchell.
<snip>

summing up... man and woman have marriage difficulties, divorce, and
now argue over welfare of child...

next...

PEACH

A to the L

"I'm the definition of nice - you're the definition of Cool C and Steady B pulling a heist."

htpp://www.altrap.com (Hiphop with a bitter, twisted, shitty attitude)
q***@webtv.net
2004-08-31 15:32:47 UTC
Alright, Twista was ahead of the curve at being a dead-beat dad before
his label boss was. As many in here have chided me for my admission in
paying for abortions, leaving a child to die that is here is worse.
A to the L
2004-08-31 16:42:21 UTC
Post by q***@webtv.net
Alright, Twista was ahead of the curve at being a dead-beat dad before
his label boss was. As many in here have chided me for my admission in
paying for abortions, leaving a child to die that is here is worse.
Craig Kallman is a deadbeat dad? He must be, cos Quest said it... so
its fact.

For those who are unaware, Twista is on Atlantic. President of
Atlantic Records is Craig Kallman.

Obviously Quest was taking a shot at Dame Dash despite it already
being proved that rather than being a deadbeat dad, Dash has custody
of his son. He is not an absent father in the way that Twista is being
described in this article.

Furthermore, with it now being proved once again, that Quest has made
a WRONG statement, I invite him to apologise for slandering Craig
Kallman.

PEACH

A to the L (don't hold your breath)

q***@webtv.net
2004-08-31 18:08:14 UTC
A to the L says:
<<Obviously Quest was taking a shot at Dame Dash despite it already
being proved that rather than being a deadbeat dad, Dash has custody of
his son. He is not an absent father in the way that Twista is being
described in this article.>>

Yes, I took a shot a Dame "Dummy" because it was established that he was
a dead beat(or abusive----whatever word you'd like) or he wouldn't have
had to "regain custody". By his own admission, he doesn't have time for
him. Same thing, dead beat or bad parent. Both neglected(or neglecting)
kids that they laid down and had. You sugarcoat and play semantics all
you'd like, it is what it is.

<<Furthermore, with it now being proved once again, that Quest has made
a WRONG statement, I invite him to apologise for slandering Craig
Kallman.>>

The wrong statement here was me typing label boss when I meant to say
label head of the crew he's down with. Agreement: stop. Both dudes are
dead beat and you've proven how obsessed you are. That was a time that
you should've played semantics. He sports the Wack-A-Fella chain, but is
signed to Atlantic. ALL the rest is on point.
A to the L
2004-08-31 19:28:49 UTC
Post by q***@webtv.net
<<Obviously Quest was taking a shot at Dame Dash despite it already
being proved that rather than being a deadbeat dad, Dash has custody of
his son. He is not an absent father in the way that Twista is being
described in this article.>>
Yes, I took a shot a Dame "Dummy" because it was established that he was
a dead beat(or abusive----whatever word you'd like) or he wouldn't have
had to "regain custody".
wrong answer - he had to 'regain custody', because he was forced to go
to court to get ANY custody once the child's mother stopped him from
seeing the child... the 'deadbeat' dad stories were of course aired
during the trial by the mother's lawyers...
Post by q***@webtv.net
By his own admission, he doesn't have time for
him.
which or course is why he went hrough the court process to gain sole
custody...
Post by q***@webtv.net
The wrong statement here was me typing label boss when I meant to say
label head of the crew he's down with. Agreement: stop. Both dudes are
dead beat and you've proven how obsessed you are. That was a time that
you should've played semantics. He sports the Wack-A-Fella chain, but is
signed to Atlantic. ALL the rest is on point.
lol

straws... clutching...

q***@webtv.net
2004-09-01 00:28:07 UTC
A to the L says:
<<wrong answer - he had to 'regain custody', because he was forced to go
to court to get ANY custody once the child's mother stopped him from
seeing the child... the 'deadbeat' dad stories were of course aired
during the trial by the mother's lawyers.>>

Dude, his son dropped dime on him for his excessive marijuana use. His
son even went so far as to take a dimebag to school and tell on him
there. Again, by his own admission, his "lifestyle" is such that he
doesn't have time for the child he brought into the world. Those aren't
semantics, you have to sacrifice your "lifestyle" to care for and
nurture your kids. Particularly so if one is a single parent. What he
used as an excuse flies in the face of all single parents everywhere.
Bay Way 41510
2004-09-01 12:34:45 UTC
Post by q***@webtv.net
<<wrong answer - he had to 'regain custody', because he was forced to go
to court to get ANY custody once the child's mother stopped him from
seeing the child... the 'deadbeat' dad stories were of course aired
during the trial by the mother's lawyers.>>
Dude, his son dropped dime on him for his excessive marijuana use. His
son even went so far as to take a dimebag to school and tell on him
there. Again, by his own admission, his "lifestyle" is such that he
doesn't have time for the child he brought into the world.
He admitted this to you????

STRATEGY

Those aren't
q***@webtv.net
2004-09-01 13:00:06 UTC
Strategy amazingly asks:
<<He admitted this to you?>>

Dude, do we have to? What kind of question is that? Cool, you don't like
me and the feelings are mutual, still what are your thoughts on Twista
reportedly leaving his daughter to die?
A to the L
2004-09-01 13:41:00 UTC
Post by q***@webtv.net
what are your thoughts on Twista
reportedly leaving his daughter to die?
a little excessive don't you think...

btw do you know that Ras Kass has twins with Teedra Moses... where's
Ras Kass right now?

PEACH

A to the L (I'm finishing with this right now)

q***@webtv.net
2004-09-01 15:28:58 UTC
A to the L adds, after "finishing up":
<<a little excessive don't you think.>>

Wrong answer, I said it like it is. If you aren't supporting a child you
bring in the world, metaphorically speaking, you ARE leaving them to
die. Clearly, they cannot fend for themselves. It's akin to the lower
strata of the animal kingdom that does the same thing. Humans are
supposed to be a tad better than that.

<<btw do you know that Ras Kass has twins with Teedra Moses... where's
Ras Kass right now?>>

I did know that he has children, by whom, I didn't. He's currently
incarcerated after he got knocked in Las Vegas. And your point? Oh,
we'll never know your point...reason being, see below. My quick take,
where's the connect with Twista?

<<A to the L (I'm finishing with this right now)>>

Cool. See above. A bit "excessive" don't you think? For my part, I read
quite well and understood you, though it took two posts from you saying
the same thing? Hmm....

SCHNAPPS
Alan D aka Big AL aka SpeciAL
2004-09-01 18:25:18 UTC
Post by q***@webtv.net
<<a little excessive don't you think.>>
Wrong answer, I said it like it is. If you aren't supporting a child you
bring in the world, metaphorically speaking, you ARE leaving them to
die.
To quote East 17
"We are born to live, live to die".

laters,
alan d aka big al
A to the L
2004-09-01 13:36:26 UTC
Post by q***@webtv.net
Again, by his own admission, his "lifestyle" is such that he
doesn't have time for the child he brought into the world.
which or course is why he went hrough the court process to gain sole
custody..

PEACH

A to the L (I'm finishing with this now)

q***@webtv.net
2004-09-01 15:20:53 UTC
A to the L says:
<<which or course is why he went hrough the court process to gain sole
custody.>>

Maybe/maybe not. All we know for certain is that his lifestyle
contributed to him losing his parental rights(read: dead beat).
Embarrassment and "one-upsmanship"(read: numerous attempts like A to the
L) sparked that court thing.

<<A to the L (I'm finishing with this now)>>

Cool. I'll finish up here as well. Semantics notwithstanding as well as
attempts to "one up" about the label boss at Atlantic, based SOLELY on
what Twista isn't doing with regards to his daughter, that's all that
needed to be addressed. And now you want to finish up...
mochaspresso
2004-09-02 10:11:31 UTC
Post by q***@webtv.net
<<which or course is why he went hrough the court process to gain sole
custody.>>
Maybe/maybe not. All we know for certain is that his lifestyle
contributed to him losing his parental rights(read: dead beat).
Embarrassment and "one-upsmanship"(read: numerous attempts like A to the
L) sparked that court thing.
That went both ways, you know. Neither side in that battle comes out
smelling like roses or winning the parent of the year award.
(lifestyles, new relationships that the other doesn't approve of,
violation of visitation rights -- they're both guilty on those
counts..) and by the looks of it, that is what what keeps fueling
these battles ....one parent gets mad and denies the other visitation
and they end up in court.) Unfortunately, the boy is caught in the
middle of it. I also say this a woman.......the courts are ususally
very sympathetic to the mother in custody cases. When she doesn't get
custody, SOMETHING is usually up.

-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->

Mochaspresso
w watts
2004-08-31 19:11:08 UTC
Post by A to the L
Post by Pooky
Before Twista became the latest rap sensation and a platinum artist, he was
Carl Terrell Mitchell, a young rap wannabe from the West Side who, in 1991,
married Rashida Mitchell.
<snip>
summing up... man and woman have marriage difficulties, divorce, and
now argue over welfare of child...
next...
PEACH
A to the L
I'd say summing up ... man has brains enough to legally hide his
assets during and after a divorce (and pay what he legally owes), and
woman and lawyers are sore losers. It doesn't take $920 a month
(2*460) to support a child (assuming he is only supposed to pay 1/2 of
the expenses to raise the child).
Luca
2004-08-31 19:26:32 UTC
Post by w watts
I'd say summing up ... man has brains enough to legally hide his
assets during and after a divorce (and pay what he legally owes), and
woman and lawyers are sore losers. It doesn't take $920 a month
(2*460) to support a child (assuming he is only supposed to pay 1/2 of
the expenses to raise the child).
Who are you? Dad of the Year?

Luca
w watts
2004-09-02 13:29:58 UTC
Post by Luca
Post by w watts
I'd say summing up ... man has brains enough to legally hide his
assets during and after a divorce (and pay what he legally owes), and
woman and lawyers are sore losers. It doesn't take $920 a month
(2*460) to support a child (assuming he is only supposed to pay 1/2 of
the expenses to raise the child).
Who are you? Dad of the Year?
Luca
Hey reading over my message it does sound a bit harsh. No I'm not a
Dad or a 'Dad of the year', but I don't think any man that is divorced
can be a 'Dad of the year'. I think that if you are a man and get
divorced (and you lose the custody battle) you are by default an
asshole. If you pay a lot of money you are a good asshole, if you
make efforts and get the best lawyers, hide assest, etc then you are
bad asshole. Either which way, no divorced men ever got a 'father of
the year' award, so why should he try to get it?
Luca
2004-09-02 20:31:05 UTC
Post by w watts
Post by Luca
Who are you? Dad of the Year?
if you
make efforts and get the best lawyers, hide assets, etc then you are a
bad asshole.
There ya go... My sentiments exactly. (And I had such a Dad...)
Post by w watts
Either which way, no divorced men ever got a 'father of
the year' award, so why should he try to get it?
The question was actually aimed at you cos you came across like you knew
how much raising a child costs. - As a single parent, you can choose
between going to work to make some money while your kid doesn't see you
for most of the day or you stay with your kid, but that means that
someone's gotta shell out that dough... So you can't split the costs
50-50.

Luca
--
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered." (George Best)
mochaspresso
2004-09-01 01:22:42 UTC
Post by w watts
I'd say summing up ... man has brains enough to legally hide his
assets during and after a divorce (and pay what he legally owes), and
woman and lawyers are sore losers. It doesn't take $920 a month
(2*460) to support a child (assuming he is only supposed to pay 1/2 of
the expenses to raise the child).
pshh. you don't have kids.

-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->-=-=->

Mochaspresso
2deph
2004-09-01 02:43:51 UTC
Let me say on the Record I know a lot of chicago rappers and I worked
on the westside of chicago. I seen Do or Die, Snypaz, Crucial
Conflict, Psycho Drama and Twista. all hanging out near Georges music
Room. I don't know how much legal money they had but I know for sure
Twista wasn't the riches from 98 -01 . I was even told by some when he
fell of that he was on the bus working way north so nobody would
notice him. So if he was hiding money he did it really well for a
person who really wanted to blow up bad.
q***@webtv.net
2004-09-01 03:11:38 UTC
2deph adds:
<<I don't know how much legal money they had but I know for sure Twista
wasn't the riches from 98 -01 . I was even told by some when he fell of
that he was on the bus working way north so nobody would notice him. So
if he was hiding money he did it really well for a person who really
wanted to blow up bad.>>

He's said as much in interviews in SOURCE magazine and Wendy Day's
website has some stuff on his legal woes as well as his depression and
reclusive nature following his fall off. But this business of leaving
his daughter to die is a revelation. It's funny because he did a "Behind
The Beats" spot here in the Illadelph, saying all the PC stuff you'd
expect, but has a daughter crying out for him. That's ugly. I understand
now why he was so "it's just business" with Hip Hop, in part because he
had been toiling so long without that star thing jumping off and maybe
he knew litigation was forthcoming.